Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just a Regular Day

Today ... is simply a regularly scheduled day-in-our-lives.

My Youngest is off to school. Just a regular, ordinary day ... without the added pressure of rehearsing and performing in a play.

He tried out for this play a few months ago and he won the part of Prince Charming. He has had a severe case of nerves, felt very unsettled about performing in front of an audience and was fearful that he would 'freeze'. For the better part of the past two months, our chat-before-bedtime has consisted in talking about this play.

Yesterday, was the day. There was a morning and afternoon performance. Unfortunately, I went to the morning showing (along with the Pre-school, Kindergarten, Grade One and Two classes). I'm looking forward to seeing this again on DVD, because the young audience made it very hard to hear (especially near the end).

It was one of those proud-to-be-a-Mom moments. I'm glad I was there. Not only for the performance ... but for the two months that preceded it. My Youngest took part in life ... he did something he was afraid to do. And he succeeded!

My Second Son is back to work today. It looks as if it will be a busy summer for him.

He has kept his spirits up, by keeping busy. He has taken on an active part of running this household. He stepped up to the plate in my absence, did what needed to be done around the house and yard, worked on some projects on his farm and last night I came home from a day-at-the-shop to find our supper menu completely taken care of.

It has been rather wonderful to have this 'partnership' around home lately. This is something new and foreign to me. A partnership works both ways ... so now that he is getting busy with work, I will have to pull my weight. I'm ready.

Yes, I knew My Second Son was happy and content this morning when I heard us having a conversation first thing this morning. My 'Don't-Talk-to-Me-in-the-Morning' Son ... was an active conversationalist today. I smiled, as I quietly realized what was happening.

My Oldest is just over two weeks away from moving into his Stepping Stone Dream Home. It isn't the house of his dreams ... but it is a house that has the appearance of being built just for him. It looks like the perfect fit for him right now.

I'm so pleased to see him taking a step towards his future. Being happy within the four walls that define 'home' is something that I want for all of my children. When I  hear the way he talks of the house that he is living in right now, I don't hear 'home'. He has a roof to shelter him from the elements. But it is not a home.

I well remember the contentment that I felt when I moved into my first home. I was giddy with joy. The elation remained, far after the smell of newness wore off. My heart was happy and I can remember stating to the world "I love my walls". I was safe, protected, happy and content. This is what I want for my children. I feel that My Oldest is taking a giant step towards that 'place'.

And Me? I am off to another day-at-the-shop. Work is good. I'm finding that I am far more productive when I must step out of my home and there is a definite boundary between work and the rest of my life.

I am being rewarded with more responsibilities (today, I'm taking on yet another new task). I am finding ways to put in my hours and feel productive. I feel that there is respect growing between my bosses and me.

It is still tough when I get a call from My Youngest telling me that he wants to hang out with friends after school ... and there isn't a parent around. So what did I do? I was grateful that he called, he asked and he told me the truth. That has to be rewarded with a 'Yes'. But I had to do my Motherly Diligence and tell him that he is ultimately responsible. Group mentality can be breeding grounds for bad decisions. I told him if someone in the group was doing something that he knew was wrong, to walk away and come home. It was hard to say 'Yes' ... but it would have been wrong to say 'No'.

Welcome to my world. A world where everyone is doing their thing ... living their lives ... and finding comfort in the confines of these four walls, when we come together at the end of the day (or week).

No dramas or worries today. It's just a regularly scheduled day. And that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment