Friday, April 8, 2011

A Life Without Music ...

I have grown accustomed to having music playing in the background of my days.

I listen to music when I work, I have my favorite-songs-of-the-moment playing in the car, Zumba, dancing and all forms of exercise are associated with a musical back drop.

The past month has been quiet. While I was at Mom's, I was around people 24/7. When I came home, I had a lot to pack into those days so that I'd be ready to turn around and go back to Mom's five days later. Back at Mom's, my days were once again filled with people, conversation and an otherwise quiet background.

On the drive home from Mom's, My Oldest turned on the radio for the last leg of our trip. The music was back. Ever so quietly ... the music was starting to return to my life.

Back at work, I turn on the radio the moment I start the day. I now work in the shop, so singing and dancing is not allowed. I suppose that I could try, but since the acoustics from my upstairs 'attic' workspace reverberate to the shop below, I know that my bosses would know that I was dancing or practicing Zumba if suddenly there was a methodical moving of my feet on their ceiling. And singing? Let's just say that if I want to continue to believe that I have a 'voice', that it is best to keep my singing confined to the privacy of my car and home.

I found the name of my newest favorite song and downloaded it (plus a few more) a few nights ago. I came home from work yesterday with a light heart ... knowing that my dance lesson was only a few hours away. And I turned up the music. Loud.

I moved and grooved. I sang and danced. I felt the rhythm of the music in my soul and I was revived. 

I went to my dance lesson with a bounce in my step and a light heart. And I danced. The men to women ratio was 1:1 last night. So I got to dance all night. I partnered up with a new dancer and I appreciated his sense of humor as much as the music.

I not only danced ... I laughed.

Does life get any better than this? The music is back. The laughter was never far away. It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment