Monday, April 25, 2011

Wings to Fly ...

I have had the opportunity to be home with my (almost)  13 year old son for 95% of his growing up years.

I babysat from my home and was with him (almost) every single hour and each and every day for the first 18 months of his life. Then I started working outside of my home for six hours each Saturday. I took some tentative steps away from My Youngest and found some time for myself during those adult hours of employment.

The years between then and last year were still predominantly spent with him. He had to accompany me every where I went until we started testing the waters of independence (for both of us) and I went to my dance lesson or ran errands while he stayed at home. It was a step. A small, gradual step which has grown to the place where he has now arrived.

Having my Middle Son at home has given me the opportunity to step out to Mom's whenever and however long is needed. My Youngest can tend to himself and my Middle Son is an ever present adult in his midst. Each of them are very self reliant and together they are a good, independent team. I know My Youngest is safe at home when his Older Brother is watching out for him.

I have always been very happy and reassured that My Youngest enjoyed being 'home'. More often than not, his friends come over here. So I know exactly where My Son is and what he is doing. I love that comfort.

This past weekend, My Youngest has stepped outside the box. Outside the safety and security of our home. And he likes it. He happily declared that this year, he will be spending a lot of time outside! I am happy. But I am so, so scared.

My little bird is trying out his wings. All of those seeds that have been planted are taking root. Now is the time I will begin to see who My Youngest is becoming.

Be safe, as you start to fly on your own ...

Please World, be kind. He's young and I know the world will have to teach him some lessons ... but please don't take away his desire to soar with the eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment