Monday, May 16, 2011

Because My Hair Appointment Got Cancelled ...

"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans"

Life happened Saturday morning. I had the minutes of my day carefully choreographed so that I could work in time to visit my brother and his wife during their brief stay here; get my hair cut/colored; go for a pedicure with three of my friends; run to Costco on the way out of the city; and head off to a surprise birthday party for my sister's husband.

Everything was going perfectly. I got up early and made my thermal food carriers (which worked perfectly, by the way ... the ice packs were still partially frozen 24 hours later). The 'gift of a memory' (the only gift requested for my brother-in-law) finally came to me while I was inventing my thermal food packs. I had time to blog a little. Time to shower and I was ready to entertain my company. All was well in my world.

Then the phone rang.

A mini-hair-crisis was about to unfold. My wild and woolly locks were untamed at the time of answering that call. I knew my hairdresser would rescue me. In one moment, it all changed.

My hair appointment was cancelled. Long story short, I begged and asked if they could squeeze me in for just a cut. I could return another day for the color. But please, please, please ... could they please just cut and style my hair to get me through the weekend?? And they did (and miracle workers that they are, they found a way to do the color as well).

Because my hair appointment was rescheduled ...
  • My two hour hair appointment turned into one hour and 15 minutes. A bonus 45 minutes in a day that had precious few moments to spare.
  • I was able to go to Costco bright and early and be guaranteed that all of the food trays that I promised my sister were still in stock..
  • While I was at Costco, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in (at least) 15 years. If I had gone to my original hair appointment, I would have never been at that exact place at that exact time.
  • I was able to go to My Oldest's home with my brother and my sister-in-law prior to my pedicure appointment. 'Plan A' was that my Second Son would show them the way. But this new and improved revision meant that I saved my Second Son an extra trip, I had bonus time to spend with my brother/sister-in-law and I got in an extra visit with My Oldest during a weekend that was all about family.
  • My brother was able to take the food items I was responsible for, to the surprise party we were both attending.
  • Thus, I did not have to return home after my pedicure appointment ... so I was able to give my friend a ride home on the way to my out-of-town destination (if I would have had to return home, this would not have worked out so perfectly).
A cancelled appointment. An inane thing-that-really-doesn't-matter. This one small glitch shuffled my day around in a way that I could have never planned.

It was a day that turned out perfectly. And it was all because my hair appointment got cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment