Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Lost a Day ... But I'm Making Up Time Now

I have learned a few vital lessons this holiday.

#1 - The anti nausea patch really, really works!
#2 - Acupuncture also works
#3 - Both of the above do work ... but when they wear off? Watch out!!

Our last night at sea was rough.

I went to the 7:00 Grand Finale performance that I had been anticipating, but the waters were getting just a little bit rough. The theatre was at the front of the ship (which takes the brunt of the waves) and I felt my stomach starting to turn. So ... by 7:15 I was back in the room (just in the nick of time).

I missed the show and I missed supper. But when My Friend told our waiter that I was feeling the effects of motion sickness, he sent a sliced up green apple back to our room for me. Let me tell you. If you are feeling nauseous, nothing tastes better than a green apple!

I gobbled up my green apple, but when I tried my legs they still didn't work. So I slept.

I got my sea legs steady enough to get me off the ship the next morning and onto our train for the next leg of our trip. But let me tell you ... a four and a half hour train ride through the mountains wasn't exactly the adventure my stomach was ready for.

I quite literally closed my eyes and endured the trip. I got through picking up luggage and getting to the hotel. But after that point? I couldn't even fake it. The moment we arrived at our hotel room, I knew I had to lay down.

That was around 1:30 in the afternoon. I can quite honestly never in my life remember feeling that ill. I was completely disheartened because I thought 'this can't just be motion sickness ... it feels too awful'. But when I woke up this morning, I felt 100% better (so it must have been).

The thing you don't hear about, after you've been on a ship for a week is the time it takes to regain your land legs. We have run into several of our ship-mates since we've been in Anchorage and we all seem to be suffering from this same epidemic. We all seem to have a little post cruise swagger, as the land does not feel solid underneath our feet.

But it all got better from there. I actually ate breakfast, a snack and supper today. I haven't 'held onto' a meal for quite some time. This was a very good day.

And what made it even better? Sitting down and visiting my long time friend. My "best-friend-in-the-world when I was 12 years old" and I have kept in touch over the course of the 38 years since we were neighbors. Her family moved back to the States and we have remained pen pals (and more recently, email buddies) ever since. Coming to visit her in Anchorage was the sole purpose behind this Alaskan Cruise. And today, I finally, finally got to sit down and visit with her.

First, there was that moment of quick recognition when she met us upon our arrival in Anchorage. Next, it was moments into our conversation when I was reminded of our similar ways of thinking that sparked the memories of our easy friendship as pre-teens. Then, it was the 'remember when ...' moments.

We have barely touched the surface of the friendship that we have shared for the better part of our lives. Yet I believe that we both know that this kinship we share, runs eternal.

If I was to redo this holiday, the only thing that I would change is that I would fly out to Anchorage first. And then take the Alaskan Cruise from North to South .... I lost an entire day that I can't get back due to motion sickness. We will do our best to make up for lost time. But if I had known this could happen, I would have worked hard at preventing it.

Tomorrow is just one day .... but we will make it a day to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment