Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Great Alaskan Cruise Adventure

It's been a perfect day.

I have been playing with my pictures and videos all day. I have been having an out of body experience as I have been reliving my holiday. All from the comfort of home.

What follows is a photo montage that takes you from Saskatoon to Vancouver to Anchorage and back. There are a few days that are missing from my archives. The day my patch fell off in Skagway ... our days in Anchorage (I was too busy visiting to be taking pictures of the scenery) ... and our last night in Vancouver is wrapped up in this short blog post (and the only photo that I took during that leg of our trip).

What one may notice about the photos that I took when we went on our excursions, is my fascination with our ship. Once we hit dry land and I could see the vastness of our little 'world' at sea, my camera started snapping pictures. The theme "Wow!! Look at our ship!" runs strong throughout my vacation photos. From the dock, from a distance (when it was tendered in Icy Straight Point and we had to take a boat to the shore) and from the top of Mount Roberts when we took the tramcar ride to the top.

My fascination for our ship was followed by the quiet wonder of whale (and wilderness) watching. It was like playing 'Where's Waldo' and the ocean was our canvas. You could stare out at the vastness and not know what you may see next.

Hubbard Glacier was the final hurrah of our vacation. I got a little snap happy there as we all appreciated the (rare) bright, blue sky that we were blessed with. It made for the most beautiful reflections in the water. I could stare at those pictures all day.

Once again, I have accompanied the photo montage with music from the "Alaska String Band". The songs are "Wheel Hoss" and "Ashokan Farewell" from their CD "Farther On". Please feel free to visit their website at: http://www.alaskastringband.net/

Enjoy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment