Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our Alaskan Excursions

I have one more small pile of notes of things-I-want-to-write before I forget. And that is to devote some memory space to the naturalists, tour guides and to emphasize the appreciation that I have for those who simply love this planet and share their passion.

Milos Radakovich was the Celebrity Millennium's naturalist who led a series of three lectures. He had an astounding amount of knowledge to share with his audience and he did it in a manner that was captivating, humorous and made you want to know more. Milos was my introduction to the word 'naturalist' (one versed in natural history, especially in zoology or botany). His passion for our planet and his knowledge of the natural sciences kept me coming back to each and every one of his lectures aboard the ship.

Then there were our tour guides.

Our excursion through the rain forest in Ketchikan. I should have been taking notes, because I wish I could remember more of what our guide told us (i.e. those poisonous slugs). I remember the awe I felt as this young girl rattled off more knowledge in our two hour stroll through the forest, than I absorbed from all of my science classes over the course of my education.

Our whale watching excursion in Juneau was my favorite. I have already gone on and on (and on) about this, so I will bore you no more. But it is all summed up in our guide's words, when the engine was turned off and we drifted quietly, "This is one of my favorite things to do out here on the water ... just hang out watching whales and listening to them breathe as they come to the surface ...". Breath taking.

Then there was our Eagle Preserve Rafting and Wildlife Quest in Skagway. This is the excursion that I would most like to re-do. It was half way up the 40 mile narrated drive (from Haines, to the Eagle Preserve) that the motion got to me and I listened with only half of my senses.

None the less, the narrative of our Alaska loving, nature loving Haines resident and tour guide was wonderful. He was easy to listen to, his passion for the Alaskan forests, wilderness and nature in general was contagious. One would wonder how anyone could feel any different than him after listening to him go on and on about the wonders of Alaska (and wilderness in general).

We then wound our way through the river by raft. Each raft was guided by our own personal guide after we were outfitted in rain gear (ponchos and rubber boots) and advised what to do 'in the very unlikely event of ending up in the water'. I was back in the moment of being afraid of bears in Ketchikan. But as it was with the non-bear encounter ... we also didn't tip our raft. I was as dry at the end of our trip as I was at the beginning.

They provided a picnic lunch and all of the information we wanted after our raft trip and before the 40 mile trek back to Haines. The team work that it took to co-ordinate this adventure was something to behold. There was our bus driver, the 'narrator' on our trip (whose name is "C.P.") , a guide for each raft, another team to set up (and clean up) our picnic and then the bus driver and our own personal tour guide, C.P. who narrated the way back to Haines.

The easy, fun banter was enjoyable ... even though I had eyes closed throughout the trip.

Our world is a wonderful place. If everyone thought the way that these tour guides, teachers and naturalists did ... it could be like the Garden of Eden. The impact that these guides make on the many people who will go on these tours and listen to these lectures can and will make a difference.

One person at a time. We all make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment