Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Priorities

I've been home under 18 1/2 hours, after 12 days absence. What have my priorities been?

#1 - Walk back into my life and enjoy the moments.

I wandered through the afternoon with my Second Son as we caught each other up on our weeks as he ran a few errands and we had coffee as we drove. I was home when My Youngest came home from school. I let the world stop when Mom called. Unfortunately by the time My Oldest called around 9:00 last night, I was up to my elbows in trying to regain lost ground after being away for so long (I had done so well up until that point). But we still caught each other up on the recent events in our lives.

#2 - Take care of the power bill.

I'm on an equalized payment plan and my settle up month is May. I knew before I left on holidays, that I would owe them money. I was right. That was the second order of business. To take care of business.

#3 - Ignore, ignore, ignore the house, the unpacking, the reality.

I did well. I lasted until after supper. I put my blinders on and walked through the house without seeing it for the first six hours I was home. It was fun while it lasted.

#4 - Go to McDonald's for supper!!

I was in my glory. Skinny burgers, salty fries and a large Coke. My stomach was doing happy flips. "It's so good to be home!!" was the message that was being transmitted from my fast-food deprived body, to my brain.

#5 - Reality.

It had to happen sooner or later. I finally started dealing with it.

I am unpacked and I am living out of drawers and closets once again. It has been a very, very long time (3 months) since my suitcase has not been living on my bedroom floor, waiting to be packed for my next out-of-home-experience. It feels quite wonderful to know that I am home to stay. The urge to forge off on another adventure is so far down my list that I can't even see it.

What came into focus once I started seeing my life through a clear, tunnel vision of enjoying being at home?

The bathroom drawer that had started coming apart before I left. I had suitcases to unpack, a laundry hamper full to overflowing, things-to-do on every flat surface I could see. Yet I had to 'fix' that drawer.

Yes, I am home to stay. It is time to get back to taking care of the little things at home. Things that make life run smoothly. Drawers that work, restocking supplies and clearing the way to sit back and revel in all that I know and love ... being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment