Friday, July 15, 2011

Making the Best of Things

"Things turn out for the best,
for people who make the best of the way things turn out."
~John Wooden~

I love those words. They made me think of the backwards way that I look at life. 

Very often, I look at where I am and rewind the tape of my life to see if I can find the catalyst that set the wheels in motion to get me to 'where I am at'.

I cannot begin to count the number of times that heart ache and sorrow have led me to a better place than I started. The road is not direct or predictable. But when I get to the temporary destination of 'contentment', I can appreciate that I needed to travel that path to get to where I needed to go.

When our cat had fleas, being late for an appointment, illness, unexpected forks in the road, betrayal, loss and devastation in any way, shape or form ... each and every negative life event has led me to a better place in the end.

This week, I have focused on a change that I must initiate. I am torn. Because no matter how much I know that it is time to walk away and move on ... I can fully appreciate the benefits of all that I received along the way.

There is not one wasted moment in my life, when I look at it backwards. Each hurdle has been an opportunity to learn and gain the fortitude to leap higher over the next (inevitable) challenge.

"You can't always get what you want ... but you get what you need"
(as my much wiser, older sister has been noted singing to her children in times of want)

No comments:

Post a Comment