Sunday, August 7, 2011

Seasons

My life is in a complete state of flux at the moment. I feel vulnerable, frightened, anxious ... yet hopeful. As I was trying to put words to the emotions I am feeling, I couldn't help but think of the four Seasons.

My work life is in the season of Spring. I have planted seeds, watered and done some weeding. From the surface, it looks as though nothing is growing. Do I resew or wait and hope that some of those seeds are simply taking root before signs of growth begin? I can't afford to simply sit back and do nothing. So I will leave the seeds in the hope of new life ... but I will continue to plant others. I will nurture what I have sewn but plant a back up crop.

My sense of family and friends are in the Summer of the year. In full bloom, basking in the sun and ripe with all that they have to offer. I may sit back and savor what has grown. I feel assured that I have a friend or family member to call on - to sit back and reflect on all that transpiring throughout the other the 'seasons' of our lives.

Fall represents 'my past'. I must shed what has come and gone through my life. Rake up the piles of excess and deal with the loss in the most healthy and ecological way that I know how. Compost and rebuild from the past. Discard the rest. And move on ...

Relationships with those of the male variety remain in the state of Winter. They have laid dormant for some time. From time to time I wonder 'why'. But with such a big part of my life presently in the season of Spring and all of the uncertainty that it has bred ... I know that I need to be more before I can be a part of a two way relationship. If I was to meet someone when I felt so vulnerable in such a vital part of my life, it would breed an unhealthy and unequal partnership. Winter is a necessary part of the life process. Time to rebuild from inner reserves. Time to rest. Time to process. Time to prepare for new growth ...

I am grateful that my transitions in life are represented in each of the four Seasons.

I am grateful to feel the continuing season of growth. Goals and aspirations keep me feeling alive and vital ... and the future hopeful.

I am blessed to bask in the abundance of life that previous seasons have provided. I have an abundance of intangible and immaterial wealth. I savor the season of reveling in the present.

I need to shed the remnants of the past that are not vital to my day to day living. To carry the excess is a burden. I am grateful for all that I have reaped and hope to be respectful with what has been shed.

I appreciate the dormancy which allows me time to regain what I need to learn to move forward. It may not be my favorite season, but it is a vital part of the process.

Like the seasons, each stage of life comes and goes. Like the rainbow which follows a rain ... it is a glimmer of the promise of what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment