Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Feel Good Movie Marathon

I watched movies today. All day.

I didn't have the energy to think my own thoughts and was quite happy to let Hollywood fill up my day and entertain my mind.

Here is a recap of my day and some of the words that 'stuck' from each of the movies I watched:

Serendipity

"Serendipity. It's one of my favorite words .... It's such a nice sounding word for what it means: a fortunate accident."

"You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: 'Did he have passion?'."

"And if you're smart enough, you learn from your mistakes. You figure it out. You... you think. You realize that life isn't some elaborate stage play with directions for the actors. Life's a mess, Sara. It's... it's chaos personified."

Now and Then

"Things will happen in your life that you can't stop... But that's no reason to shut out the world... There's a purpose for the good and for the bad... "

"I've been so afraid of the bad things that um... That I've missed out on the good... "

"Thomas Wolfe once said you can't go home again. Well, that's great for old Tom. But he wasn't a chick who made a pact with her friends when she was twelve to get together whenever any one of them needed each other. So here I am driving back to my childhood home in Indiana a place I can tell you I never wanted to see again."

As Good As it Gets

"Carol Connelly: When you first entered the restaurant, I thought you were handsome... and then, of course, you spoke."

"Melvin Udall: Judging from your eyes, I'd say you were fifty.
Carol Connelly: Judging from your eyes, I'd say you were kind, so so much for eyes. "

Bewitched

"Do you want the long version or the short version? And I have to warn you, the long version is in Aramaic."

The Wedding Planner
"Love is just love. it is not a fairy tale... it's not some enchanted evening. that's not real life."

"... I appreciated her. Then the appreciation grew to respect. Respect grew to like. Then like grew to love. A deeper love than I could ever hope for ..."

"... But the funny thing about answered prayers ... Is they come to you in unexpected ways ..." ~ Lyrics from 'Plan on Forever'

About a Boy

"Suddenly I realized - two people isn't enough. You need backup. If you're only two people, and someone drops off the edge, then you're on your own. Two isn't a large enough number. You need three at least."

"I used to think two was not enough. But now things are great; there are loads of people... I don't know what Will was so pissed about. I don't think couples are the future. The way I see it now, we both got back-up now. It's like that thing Jon Bon Jovi said: 'No man is an island'."

Notting Hill

"For June who loved this garden from Joseph who always sat beside her." Some people do spend their whole lives together."

My 'Feel Good Movie Marathon' day has come to an end. The most amazing thing of all???? I stayed awake for the (vast majority) of a day spent in front of a box that lulls me to sleep when I am wide awake.

I think I needed this day. A day to be quiet. A day to find thought provoking moments in whatever was laid out before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment