Tuesday, January 24, 2012

If You Are What You Eat...

Yesterday was not a good food day for me. After a week of eating turkey leftovers; turkey buns; turkey soup and spaghetti & meat sauce to put an end to the cycle of turkey ... yesterday was the day I fell off of the turkey wagon with a crash.

I didn't intend on it going that way. It was a combination of things-gone-wrong.

First of all, the last thing you want to see when you are hungry for lunch and you don't have a firm idea of what you want to eat ... is two, chocolate-covered donuts. I saw them. I ate them. And I had a cup of coffee. That was lunch.

Secondly, when Plan A doesn't work out (I didn't work yesterday afternoon; though I did get to work the morning) nor Plan B (I tried phoning a friend and had hoped that I would at least be able to talk with her on the phone) ... one should have a Plan C to fall back on.

Plan C, for me ended up being a bag of no-name Chili & Dill potato chips which I found on sale when I picked up a few groceries on Sunday.

I had never tried this particular flavor before, but when I was shopping on an empty stomach on Sunday (all that I had eaten all day was a cereal bar and I was buying groceries at 5:00 p.m.) I thought that it sounded like they would have an interesting kick to them.

Interesting is a good word to describe them. Unsure of what I thought of these chips (though my first impression was "ick!"), I kept sampling them until I had eaten half of the bag. I ceremoniously closed the bag and hid it back in the closet and thought they were good chips to have in the house because I would  not be tempted to eat them.

Turns out I was wrong. A few hours later, all that my taste buds could think of was the fact that I believe that I had acquired a taste for these odd chips. I turned on the TV and nibbled until the bag was 99% gone. I could not pack away the last of those chips. What willpower!

Since I had eaten a (healthy) Fibre One cereal bar at some point in between my two goes at the chip-bag, most of my 'food groups' were satisfied. Oddly enough, I was not hungry for supper.

They say that something in turkey makes you tired. I would also like to add my scientific opinion that a diet of donuts, chips & Fibre One exhausts a person (or could it be the fact that my brain was so worn out from the weekend, that I could no urge myself to do anything productive?).

So I napped on the couch until bedtime (though I did wake up for one more Fibre One snack).

At 10:00 p.m., my stomach finally talked to my brain and reminded it that it had not been fed anything nutritious for the entirety of the day (though it did get its regular breakfast smoothie, so I don't know what it was complaining about). I had visions of grilled cheese sandwiches wafting through my mind as my head hit the pillow.

I woke up this morning and made a promise not to repeat yesterday's mistakes. It helps that there are no donuts sitting on the counter taunting me. I believe that I even have the power to throw the chili-dill chip left-overs away.

If I am what I ate yesterday, I am nothing more than a pile of junk. But then again, if those Fibre One bars are everything they say they are maybe I'm not so bad off, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment