Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Keep Your Eye on Where You Want to Go

We have a fairly long driveway. The last part of it is double-wide, so a lot of the time there is another vehicle parked there. It never fails. If I focus on vehicle that I want to avoid hitting, I end up going where I don't want to go. If I look at the fire hydrant directly across the street from where I want to go, I back up as straight as an arrow.

If I look where I want to go, that is where I end up.

I try to live my life in the same fashion. To focus my attention on where I want to be and do my best to avoid giving my attention and energy to all of the reasons that I cannot reach my destination.

The minute I start letting my thoughts stray off course, that is where I end up going.

I became overwhelmed and incapable of choreographing an exercise class. I talked about how inept I felt. I lost my confidence. I became paralyzed with anxiety. I didn't even try. I gave up. I took my eye off the ball. I stopped the momentum. I gave all of my energy to explaining why I couldn't do it. And I didn't.

Around the same time, I let myself become overwhelmed with the task of putting Dad's family's stories together in the form of a book. I have set the bar a little higher than my original attempt and I have a great fear of failing to meet my own expectations. So I stopped. I have all of the tools that I need, to forge onwards and get these words put to paper. But once again ... the lack of forward momentum, without a firm vision and belief in the end goal ... I have let everything else in my life take priority. And the 'book' remains unfinished. I took my eye off of where I was headed.

I quit my job and found a new one. I knew exactly where I wanted to work and I placed a great deal of energy towards believing that I could get that job. And I did. I sold myself on that interview because I had my eye on the prize.

I have a strong network of friends and family. Recently I have questioned how this has come to be. I believe that having a solid base foundation within my own family as I grew up, has played a big part in this. I know what I want ... so subconsciously, that is what I have drawn into my life.

My own little family has had its share of drama and at one time, it seemed that the damage was irreparable. I kept looking at my own family. My sister's families. The closeness that I knew I wanted. It didn't happen over night. But bit by bit, slowly but surely ... my own little family is becoming closer than I could have ever imagined. I never stopped believing. And now my dreams are coming true.

I have so many minor miracles that amaze and astound me. Writing a book ... working from home ...going to a dance competition ... going on an Alaskan cruise ... (to name a few).

I have enveloped the spirit of 'If I believe it ... it will happen' in my life. And it does! I am living proof that anything is possible.

Yes, life does throw you curve balls that you simply can't avoid. When that happens, it is like steering into a skid. Continue to keep your eye on where you want to go. Don't stare into the ditch and hope for a safe landing. Look into the horizon and believe.

Keep focused on where you are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment