Monday, January 2, 2012

A Year Ago

This time, last year ... I had an agenda. I had a plan. I knew where I was headed and all that was required on my part was a little perseverance and dedication.

I had it all mapped out. Courses, exams, deadlines and goals. I had a dream-vacation booked. Two reunions to anticipate.

January 1, 2011 ... I looked at the calendar before me and I (thought that I) knew where I was going.

This year ... I have no agenda. I have no idea where this year will take me and I feel paralyzed.

Is it fear? Is it lack of dedication? Why am I feeling so lost?

2010 energized me. I faced a bright and shiny new year with the belief that anything was possible.

2011 exhausted me. I started the year feeling invincible. I set out some goals and life side-tracked me. I didn't achieve the satisfaction of achieving what I set out to do. Instead ... I changed jobs.

2012 is a fresh, new slate. I laid out the ground work last year and did the hardest part. Now ... all I must do is persevere. One forward step at a time and I will continue to move in the direction that I have in mind.

One day at a time.

My goal this year? To do one productive thing per day. One thing that makes me feel that I have made a small difference in my world. Whether it is cleaning the oven ... or writing a page in an unfinished book ... or meeting up with a friend. One thing that makes a difference.

One day at a time, I will make the most of the days, months and year ahead of me.

A year ago, I thought I knew what the year had in store. I was partially right ... but I didn't allow any room for error in my plans. I got side-tracked. I stopped in my tracks. Now it is time to make some tracks and move forward from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment