Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Holiday Destinations

I just found out that one of my cousins is setting out on vacation soon. Destination? Family. A daughter on the coast; and a sister in the U.S.

I woke up this morning with my cousin's holiday on my mind. Oh ... to be able to pick up and take off on such an adventure!!

I remember well, the last few times that my world came crashing in upon me. I needed to keep myself occupied and distracted from life-as-I-used-to-know-it. I took off on several little 'adventures' during those periods of my life.

I was running away from life at home. But I was moving towards friends and family.

A day trip with friends; an overnight visit with a cousin; and a weekend with My Youngest. More recently, a few day trips to visit with my sisters; and a solo holiday to distance myself from 'life' ... but it was a weekend where (once I reached where I was going) I was surrounded by everything I needed. Solitude; friends; and family.

Dream vacations for me have nothing to do with the destination. It is the people that I bring with me and the people that I see when I reach where I was headed. And sometimes? It is about the quietness that brings peace to my soul when I physically put some distance between myself and that-which-is-painful.

I meant so much more than meets the eye, when I wished my cousin "May this holiday be everything you need it to be". It is the kind of holiday that I have needed in the past. Even now that my past is behind me and I'm looking towards the future with hope and anticipation ... it is still the kind of holiday that I enjoy the most.

A holiday with family and friends as my destination is my favorite kind of holiday of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment