Friday, March 2, 2012

This Week Verses Last Week

During my most recent vacation, I was very conscious of how I spent my time, money and gas.

I had one week (nine days when you include the weekends) at my disposal with no income coming in throughout that time.

Nine days is a nice little piece of time to work with. Oh!! The places I could have went! The people I could have seen ....

But I was on a budget so I refused to let my mind wander and think of all that I wished that I could do. I focused on that which I could do at little or no cost.

I have been avoiding a lot of things around home lately so I knew that I could make quite a dent in my to-do-list with nine days at my disposal.

I worked at a leisurely pace and did what I set out to do. The days passed by very quietly. I received few emails and the phone was (almost) silent. I received very little 'input' from the outside world and I maximized on my output. It was exactly what I needed and wanted to do with those days.

I rarely left the house. I ran four quick errands and went out or met up with people on three occasions. Gas consumption was minimal.

We did splurge on take-out a few times. I kept track and we spent under $65.00 throughout the entirety of my holiday. While that still sounds like a lot, it isn't bad when you consider that was the grand sum total of all frivolous holiday spending. Normally when I am on holiday mode, it is take-out all the way. I was pleased that we reined it in.

I reflected on my holiday and was pleased in every sense of the word. I did what I set out to do. I felt a sense of accomplishment and I did not overdo in any capacity. I didn't overspend. I didn't oversleep. I didn't waste my time. It was a perfectly paced week.

Fast forward to this week. I have worked three out of four days (it is presently 6:49 a.m. and I haven't been called in to work today ... but this could change). I was out of the house after supper three out of four nights (it could have been four out of four but I was completely exhausted last night). We ate take-out food for supper three out of four nights.

The car has consumed almost twice as much gas in half of the time. We ate out three out of four working days this week. I have been out of the house three times as much in four days than I was over the course of my nine days off. Granted, I was working for two thirds of that time ... but I was working at home during my holiday.

The moral of this story?

When I am working outside of my home I spend a considerable amount more on output. In every sense of the word. I compensate with take-out food and lack of energy after hours.

Working from home invigorates and fulfills me. Less satisfies more of me when I spend my working hours being productive from the comfort of my home.

I must find a way to earn a living from home. I am ever-so-tentatively making my way. The contrast between the last few weeks has shown me just how much I want to steer my life in this direction.

Enough said. I got the call and now I must head out of the house. Again. There is work to be done and bills to be paid. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do ....

No comments:

Post a Comment