Friday, May 25, 2012

Preserving His Future

As I tossed around the idea of participating in a ballroom dance competition in Montreal a few years ago, my 24 year old son was whole heartedly supportive of the idea. His exact words? “Go! When you start repeating your stories when you are older, I want them to be interesting ones.”


I threw caution to the wind and lived my dream of taking part in that dance competition. I savored every moment of the preparation, the hype, the reality and the safe landing back into my day-to-day world after the event.

That experience launched a whole new way of thinking for me. Instead of sitting back and thinking of the way that I wish things were … I have taken a much more proactive approach to life.

I hadn’t even left for the dance competition when I started dreaming of my next adventure. The state of anticipation is a wonderful place to be. So I started taking steps to fulfill another dream.

One of my elusive goals was to visit a childhood friend who lives in Anchorage, Alaska. I tossed out the idea to her and her response was enough to encourage me.

Another unfulfilled goal was to go on a cruise with a friend. We made a pact to go on a cruise together when we were 40. We missed the mark by a decade but as I started feeding my dream to go to Anchorage, I asked my friend if she would like to join me on an Alaskan Cruise. I was on a roll and hooked on the idea of reaching for my dreams.

Unfortunately my friend couldn’t go but I went ahead and booked the cruise anyway. Nothing was going to stop me once I made up my mind. I felt fearless and ready for adventure. I was going to Anchorage!

It is amazing what happens when you go out to meet life half way. Within a few days another life-long friend made the decision to join me. And we went. My Alaskan friend was surprised that I followed through on my plan. I wonder how many people dream of making the trip to see her but just don’t follow through…

In the quiet of my days, I still hear my son chiding me to live an interesting life so that my age-old stories will not bore him in the years to come. In doing so, I have also provided myself with an arsenal of memories of a life well spent.

I have become addicted to challenging my status quo and catering to my whims. Life has become very interesting since I started honing the art of following through.

It doesn’t have to be a big goal … but set your sights on something. Life will pass you by if you aren’t careful. I spent the first 45 years of my life sitting back and waiting for life to meet me half way. Sometimes it did. Sometimes it didn’t. I like it better when I take the lead in my own life. It gives me the illusion that I have some control over my destiny.

If you truly want to do something, don’t let anything hold you back. Keep moving in the direction that you want to go and you could be amazed at the doors that open for you as you make your way towards living a life worth remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment