Wednesday, May 2, 2012

This Old Dog is Tired of Learning New Tricks

Yesterday was Day #1 at my latest New Job.

I had to laugh at the comment my about-my-age-coworker made when I walked in. She said, "I was told that a New Girl was starting today ... but this is better! You are not a girl!"

Yes, I am a ripe old prune. I have been around the block. I am grounded and chances of me sticking it out are fair to good.

She showed me around during my four hour shift. As long as someone is guiding me, I can do anything that I am told. But this won't last for long. If I remember correctly, I think I have a total of eight hours training and then I'm on my own.

No, it is not rocket science. But yes, people are depending on you to carry your share of the work load so that the next shift is not running behind the eight ball.

Can I learn this stuff? Yes. Am I tired of learning new stuff? Yes. Is this a good workout for my tired brain? Probably.

I worked seven hours at Job #1 yesterday. I messed up a day-end task at the very end of the day and got out of work about 15 minutes late. That ate up half of the half-hour leeway that I had between Job #1 and Job #2. So I went straight to my new job and worked for four more hours.

I'm tired this morning. I must go to my Fairly New Half-Time Job and put together the newsletter today. I must remain calm and grounded. I must quit putting myself down. I must quit wanting and expecting to know it all. I just want to download all of the information that I need to know into my brain and know it.

This too, shall pass. Until my next new position ...

Let us rise up and be thankful,
for if we didn't learn a lot today,
at least we learned a little,
and if we didn't learn a little,
at least we didn't get sick,
and if we got sick,
at least we didn't die;
so, let us all be thankful.
~ Buddha quote

No comments:

Post a Comment