Thursday, June 21, 2012

Because I Didn't Make My Lunch ....

If I would have made my lunch yesterday ... I would have missed a chance encounter with some friends that I worked with a lifetime ago.

As I was standing in the line at Tim Hortons waiting for my sandwich, I recognized the person who walked in. We worked together for a few years before My Youngest was born and came to know each other well. Each of us shook our head as we turned back the clock about 16 years and neither of us could disguise our pleasure as we greeted each other.

We barely said hello and she said, "You remember Bonnie? ... she is right over there!" I had no place that I needed to be (I usually eat my sandwich in the car as I drive back to work, so no one suspects my take-out-food addiction), so the three of us sat down and had lunch together.

It was light. It was easy. It was fun. We caught up and heard little snippets of where life has taken us and where we were 'at' in our lives.

Two of the three of us have changed career directions since we last knew each other. One had divorced. One had a child (albeit 14 years ago!). Our children had grown up, gotten educated, pursued careers, married and had their own children. A lot changes over the course of a year ... let alone 15 or more.

But when we sat down and talked, it was as if no time had passed. I felt like the 'me' that I was when I knew them.

I met 'Bonnie' 24 1/2 years ago. She worked at the very first branch that I had ever worked at after our move to our New City.

At the time, my score was pretty high on the 'stress survey'. Within four months I: had a baby; separated from my husband; suffered the death of a parent; moved to a new province; and started a new job. Not to mention, a few financial challenges due to 'all of the above'. I didn't talk much in those days and the people who I worked with knew very little about my story.

About four years ago, I wrote a blog post that mentions a story that Bonnie told one day when three of us went out for coffee:

"Three people who were each dealing with very stressful problems (at the time I was told this story the 3 of us sitting at the table were dealing with cancer, a child with serious health issues and the after effects of an abusive marriage), once went to a very wise man and asked for him to take their problems away. The wise man agreed and each of them were immediately rid of their problems. But what they got in exchange was one of the other problems the other people were living with. After a short time, these same three people returned to the wise man and asked for their original problems back."

It was one of those knee shaking and thought altering conversations that you never forget. I often think of that conversation and the three of us that sat around the table that day.

Yesterday before I left, I mentioned that this truly felt like a déjà  vu moment. Three of us sitting around a table at a coffee shop. Talking of things that mattered and simply enjoying each other's company. The moment was much lighter yesterday than it was when we had that original conversation. But I had the opportunity to tell Bonnie that I often thought of that conversation and the story she told us that day.

Sometimes life just opens itself up to golden opportunities. A chance to thank someone for making a profound difference ... 24 years later.

If I would have made my lunch yesterday, this chance encounter would not have happened. My laziness and Tim Hortons addiction set the stage for a most memorable lunch date!

No comments:

Post a Comment