Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Little Things Go a Long Way

A little goes a long way when it comes to praise.

I take my responsibilities at work seriously. When I was told what the expectations were I set my sights on achieving or surpassing their expectations. These days, I settle on achieving expectations.

One of my jobs is putting together the school newsletter. It goes out to every parent, staff member, board member, etc ... at the school.

As a parent who has received newsletters for the better part of the past 28 years or so, I can honestly admit that I have taken those communications for granted. The only time I took note is when they were lacking.

The school that I work at takes their newsletter very seriously. It is the image of the school ... and we want to portray our school spirit and pride. And so I do my best to do my part.

Yesterday ... one of the parents sent some words of acknowledgement about our newsletter. My part in the process is in the layout, attention to detail, making it 'pretty' and such. The content is a school-wide effort, though our principal puts her heart and soul into whatever she submits. The final product is a combined effort.

After two months of fine-tuning the art of putting out a newsletter and wondering if I was 'meeting expectations', these words were perfectly timed. I don't need much to keep going. I just need a little.

I was grateful that someone took a few minutes out of their day to tell us that they appreciate our efforts.

Let positive words flow like a waterfall in your life. Little things go a long way. Spread the word ...

No comments:

Post a Comment