Friday, July 27, 2012

Company's Coming!

There used to be a time (in a faraway land) when I would clean the house top to bottom if I had company coming. I would bake, plan meals and snacks. I would ... prepare.

Something has changed over the years and I'm not altogether certain that this is a good thing. Now ... I 'clear a path' for my company.

I vacuum, dust and wash what my company may see, walk through or sit on. My basic requirements are a clean bathroom and clean sheets for them to sleep on. And coffee.

This weekend's company requires one extra bedroom so we did a minor shuffle and I got one bonus room tidied up. Our menus should be simple since we are going to an out-of-town family gathering on Saturday and my guests depart on Sunday.

The good part about my lack lustre preparations is that I am more focused on simply enjoying my company while they are here. We may be snacking on goodies from the bakery department of a grocery store, but the conversation will be the same (mind you, no one will be wasting any words on asking me for recipes).

As I went through some of the paces of this preparation yesterday I was saddened and disheartened at my new attitude. I found myself thinking I just don't care about a clean and shiny house the way that I used to. Housecleaning does not energize and fuel me the way that it once did.

There was a time (in a faraway land) that I was like the Energizer Bunny. Once I got started, I just kept going ... and going ... and going.

I think that I need new batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment