Monday, August 6, 2012

Follow Through

When you think you should do something ... follow through and do it.

I cannot think of a time when following through on a whim to call, write, email or drop in on someone didn't end with the comment, "I'm so glad you called".

Just the other day, I called my cousin to see if he was up to some company. I sensed the hesitation in his voice before he replied, "Yes, sure ... come on by" so I backtracked and said we could do this another time ... but he insisted. So I did.

I wouldn't have had the courage to pick up the phone and call him, had his sister not encouraged me to do so last weekend. I always worry when a friendship feels lop-sided and one person is calling or suggesting to get together more than the other. So I usually back off for a while and see how things play out. All I needed was a little nudge and I felt that it was okay to tip the balance just a little.

Each of us had had one of those days where you are uncertain if you are going to be good company. Each of us spilled a little of the contents of our minds on the table. Each of us felt better for releasing some of our thoughts into words and bouncing them off of another person. At the end of our visit, I think both of us were grateful for the opportunity to talk with each other.

I called my cousin on the day I felt 'lost' and didn't know which way to turn. I quite literally thought that no one was strong enough to carry me through the moment that I was in. When I drove off to no where in particular, I ended up driving right past his house when my car finally turned around and headed in a direction that was homeward bound. I was parked by his house when I called him. When I didn't know where or who to turn to ... my cousin came to mind.

Our dads are brothers. His dad died in 1980. My dad died in 1987. When little coincidences bring me together with someone that my dad could be 'co-existing' with in a world that is not my own ... I often wonder if he could be watching over me and guiding me to a place I need to be. When I end up in a place where someone else's parent could be watching over them in the same manner ... I wonder. Are these little miracles are bigger than they appear?

When you feel an overwhelming urge to reach out to someone ... do it. You never know, you may have an angel on your shoulder guiding you to exactly where you need to be. For yourself and for the other party ...

No comments:

Post a Comment