Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Thought I Was the Only One ...

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
~ C.S. Lewis

I can look back on the evolution of my friendships and feel the moment we connected. The 'I thought I was the only one' moment in time when something clicked and a friendship began.

Some friendships are based on where you are and who you are with. School friends. Friends of significant others. Work friends. Friends through kids, sports or social activities. These friendships are vital yet often they don't travel outside of their perameters.

I didn't realize how important Work Friends are ... until I didn't have them.

This year in transition has been harder to endure than I care to admit. It wasn't until I read this quote "Those who say they have no real friends at work have only a one in 12 chance of feeling engaged in their job. Conversely, if you have a "best friend at work", you are seven times more likely to feel engaged in your job." (from Tom Rath's book "Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without") that I finally realized that perhaps there is something far deeper going on here.

When you don't connect and make friendships within your work community, it is hard to feel like a vital member of the 'family' that encompasses the biggest part of your day.

I know that I thrive and grow when nurtured by those that sprinkle the words "I remember what it was like when I was new ..." and "I felt the same way ..." When you feel like a duck out of water, it helps to hear that you are not alone. A friendly voice and compassion as you feel your way through a new situation is like a life preserver. It may not help you learn to swim, but it gets you to shore safely during a crisis.

"Let friendship ring. It might look like idle chatter, but when employees find friends at work, they feel connected to their jobs. Having a best friend at work is a strong predictor for being a happy and productive employee." ~ Time Magazine (on Rath's "Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without" book release)

Friendships aren't built in a day. But the opportunity to capitalize on those moments of you find yourself thinking "What! You too? I thought I was the only one ..." are all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment