Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lost Treasures

It's been a little bit like an Easter egg hunt around here lately as I go from room to room and do the Daycare Shuffle as each room takes on a new identity.

Our first find was a small flooding situation due to a blockage in our air conditioner's hose. While that was not a great find, I'm grateful that we found it when we did. I'm also grateful that it flooded the only two areas in the basement that are not done in laminate flooring. I hate to think what a backup of water would do to laminate floor ...

I finally found the booster seat that I could have sworn that I kept when I sold/gave away most of my daycare accumulations a few years ago. But when I went to locate it, it was nowhere to be found. I thought that I must have given it away after all. Who would have thought to look outside in the play house for that? Certainly not me ...

I found the baby gate that I assumed I must have sold. I thought if I had kept it, I would have stored it with or near the rest of the toys and that-which-I-have-saved-for-future-grandchildren. Nope. It wasn't there. It was in the laundry room beside the spare fridge. What was I thinking when I put it there? That is a spot that I wouldn't look for anything ...

Then there was the atlas that I was looking for one time when Mom was here. We were trying to find locations in and around Alaska. The only atlas that I could find was an old school atlas. We found what we were looking for but I knew that I had a good atlas. A big, thick atlas that would have had a better map. Where could it be? I looked high and low for it because I knew that was something I wouldn't give away. It was not to be found. Until last week. I had it safely stowed in and among our photo albums. Photo albums?!!? The only reason I can think that I would have filed it away there is because of its size. Yup ... makes sense. File big books together, despite their content ...

A have a few closets and a bedroom that have escaped the Great Daycare Shuffle. But I am now intrigued by what I may find if I dig through and reorganize those. They may get some attention today ...

I have reached a great stage in my life. I am at a place where I can now hide my own Easter eggs. Is it age or is it just too much in one's mind when you lose track of the 'little things'? I prefer to think of it as a little of both. By this age and stage of one's life you have so much information crammed into the recesses of your mind, that you have to file some of the less used and needed information into a deeper closet.

Oh! The treasures one could find if you could houseclean your brain the way you can go through the storage areas in your house ... I guess the next best thing is digging through your home and unearthing the memories along with what you find.

No comments:

Post a Comment