Friday, September 14, 2012

Try, Try Again

I realized with astonishment last night ... that the work-week was almost over. Friday!?!? Already?? I couldn't believe how fast the week went.

Have I mentioned lately how content I feel in my new/old life? How many ways can I put this before it becomes tedious?

Simply put ... I feel grounded once again.

I wake up in the morning, knowing that I am fully capable of handling whatever the day brings. I face my daycare responsibilities and challenges with all of the tools that I have acquired - before, during and since the last time I ran my daycare from home. I face each day and wonder how I can make the best of the hours we have at our disposal.

I have done simple things.

Like cooking. I made a few homemade soups and a dessert this week. My family is just a little bit happy to have a few different choices on the menu (I have not managed to equal that success with my daycare family ... yet).

We walk. And walk and walk. It lulls my one-year-old to sleep and provides my two-year-old with an ever-changing view of the world as we carry on a walking commentary about trucks, planes, birds, puppies and sounds.

I wrote a book yesterday. My two-year-old walks in the door in the morning and asks to read books. He shows no interest in listening to me read. What he wants is to go through books and identify that which interests him. What I have noticed is that what interests him in real life is not well depicted in the selection of books that I have. So I wrote a book about our walk and 'illustrated' it with various pictures of all of the things that we saw. Of course, him and his one-year-old Partner in Daycare were the main characters of the book. This ensured a best-seller! We may be onto something here ...

I truly forgot what it was like to be around a one and a two year old. I am relearning. There are times when it feels like I'm hitting my head against a wall. How many times can a two-year-old ask "Where'd daddy go?" Apparently over 133 times in a 10 hour period. Yes. I counted. When do kids stop putting things in their mouths? Apparently 'never', if in the company of a younger child that is leading the way. Do children eat raisins any more? It doesn't appear so. I bought some mini-boxes of raisins because they were on sale and also because they were always a hit in the past. Now? I feel like putting up a daycare advertisement - "Wanted - Children ages 2 1/2 years and up. Must like raisins".

It's been a good week. Today feels like it is going to be a good day. I have a potential 'date' to go for a walk with my previous daycare provider. I called her earlier this week to ask if she would like to walk with us and she said that she would love to. Except she had an appointment that day. Today looks like it is going to be another beautiful day, so I shall try once again to see if she would like to go for a morning stroll with us.

That is what it is all about. Try, try again until you find what works for you. This is easier said than done ...

No comments:

Post a Comment