Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Working My Way Back ...

I have started inviting people back into my life and our home lately. I never really stopped altogether ... but it became harder and harder to extend those invitations, the further I retreated into myself as I trudged through the past few years.

The first time it happened was just over a week ago.

I was responding to a one-line email which (technically) didn't even require a response. One page of words later, I found my fingers suggesting that we plan a Sister Sleepover. Four days after that, both of my sisters were on board with the idea. And voila! It was a done deal. A few weekends from now, if you listen very carefully, you will hear the characteristic laugh of the Three Sisters in the distance (at a family gathering, one of my sister's in laws came up to the three of us and commented, "You even have the same laugh!").

As I was reorganizing a closet (my make-shift pantry) the other day, I stumbled upon some angel food cake mixes.It just so happened that it was a good friend's birthday the day before I came upon this little treasure. And her favorite dessert is ... angel food cake.

Yesterday (after I made some rather tasty hamburger soup for lunch), I decided to make an angel food cake. Once it was in the oven, I picked up the phone and called 'the birthday girl' and a few friends ...

Three phone calls later, I had reached only one person (I left messages for the others) but they were pleased and happy to plan to come for supper and cake (I thought I may as well offer to share my soup as well as dessert). Unfortunately the others had plans but ... I still had the opportunity to chat with them when they returned my call. The invitations were still rewarded with an excuse for a brief visit (plus ... I still have two more angel food cake mixes so we have a future date with cake involved, before this month is over!).

We had a small gathering which was thoroughly enjoyable. Due to the spur of the moment nature of the invitation, expectation levels were low. I utilized whatever was in the house for our menu and we enjoyed the company as much as (more!) than the food that was on the table.

I love picking up the phone (or sending a quick email) and taking a chance on making these little things happen.

I have been extending myself on many levels lately. I simply have 'more' of myself to give now that I am in a better, more grounded state myself.

Working from home has limited me from taking myself out of my comfort zone and going to others. But it has grounded me in a way that I feel that I can be a better friend. From the comfort of my own home.

I am working my way back to being in a place where I have so much more of myself to offer. It feels oh-so-good (great) to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment