Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Finite Resources

There are only 24 hours in a day no matter what way you slice it or dice it. Some people can do more with those 1,440 minutes than others ... but we all have the same time at our disposal.

Energy is also a finite resource. We are each fueled by sleep, nourishment and our level of health. We are unique in how we juggle all of the above to make the most of our day.

We are each motivated by a variety of different factors. Doing something out of necessity can energize one person and deplete the next.

If we are young, in good health and inspired to make the most of a day we can move mountains in a 24 hour period.

A happy and healthy state of mind is a blessing. A healthy body that works the way we expect it to is a gift. A good balance of all that nourishes a soul can bring about the most productive days we dare to hope for.

When the balance is out of kilter, it takes a toll on everything else.

Friends. Family. Home. Work. Leisure. Mind stimulating opportunities. Down time. Nourishment. Balancing the budget. And the list goes on.

All of these factors are important to my peace of mind and when one or another are out of kilter, I can feel my equilibrium teeter.

As I sit here in the middle of the room with my three young charges underfoot, I see how easy it should be.

Eat when you are hungry. Sleep when you are tired. Cry when you want to. Laugh without worrying what anyone else thinks. Make friends with everyone. Believe that you deserve to play with that toy just as much as the next guy. And make the most of the hours between nap times.

As we grow up, we start to let our priorities get all mixed up. I think that I need to start by making the most of my hours between naps. I have been letting time slip through my fingers lately ... but the need to sleep when I've been tired has been playing havoc with the hours available in the day.

I'm looking forward to the long weekend to put myself back in a balanced state of living....

No comments:

Post a Comment