Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Listening to the Quiet

I had the opportunity to start and finish the job of delivering my flyers before my daycare family arrived this morning. The kids arrived minutes after I walked in the door and moments within each other.

We were all plunked into my home at the same time. I sacrificed the quiet solitude that I anticipate each morning (in lieu of getting my flyers delivered) but it was worth it.

I turned off the light at the front door after the parents left and we basked in the gentle glow of the Christmas lights. One of my kids was not feeling that well, so I turned on the TV and let him sit back and relax while he watched his favorite cartoons.

I fed the one-year-old her breakfast and took the time to sit with my coffee. I then joined the kids in the darkened living room and simply enjoyed listening to the quiet...

The hum of the computer ... the dishwasher doing its job ... the inane chatter of the cartoons at a low volume on the TV ... no voices ... no words ...

The sun is starting to light the room and the voices of the children are starting to fill the air.

It was a quiet start to a day. Quietness among children. It doesn't come often or last very long when it does. This morning was a gift ...

No comments:

Post a Comment