Sunday, January 20, 2013

One Hour at a Time

I was talking with a friend last night and she mentioned that she has been tackling her outstanding to-do-list one hour at a time.

The job at hand was too massive to take on all at once. So rather than sitting back and feeling defeated, she worked at it for one hour.

I have at least one job like that. What I seem to be focusing on though, is the fact that I have at least two or more projects just as big and tall that I have also been neglecting. Where do you begin when you have so much to do?

You take it one. hour. at. a. time.

I set myself a goal before I went to sleep last night. It was to tackle 'Six Impossible Things Before Lunch'.

I didn't consciously think of six items to tackle, but I know that how I start my morning sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Today ... I must:
  1. Get up. I have done that. I am up and about. My bed is made. I have had breakfast. I am ready to go.
  2. Get dressed. Sitting here in my pj's is an open invitation to take a nose dive into the couch and stay there for the remainder of the day. Just for this morning, the couch is off limits.
  3. Meal preparation. Tend to the meat that I bought yesterday so that tonight's supper and our meals for the week ahead are one step easier to put together.
  4. Clear off the kitchen table. That which is sits on the kitchen table, signifies the tedious little tasks that take but a few minutes to accomplish ... but deplete a great deal of energy when they are ignored.
  5. Send off one email. I can lose the morning sitting at the computer. One thought leads to another and the next thing I know, I have lost two hours. I will allow myself one half hour to my morning distractions. Then I must move on. I will set the timer.
  6. Write for one hour. I have a book project that I must complete. Soon. It is 75% complete. I am in the end zone. I am so close ... but so far. Sitting there in its incomplete state is draining me. One hour. Anything above and beyond that, is gravy.
It is 9:30 a.m. ... I have two & a half hours to complete my mission. May the force be with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment