Wednesday, January 30, 2013

There is No Place Like Home!

If there is one thing that I like about these jobs of mine ... it is when I can put a -42 degree day behind me first thing in the morning.

Cold ... is cold. You know that the weather has been bad when -20 feels like a balmy, warm day. We have had a fair bit of -30ish degree weather ... but -40? It is cold. I really don't want to get used to this kind of day.

My flyers were dropped off at 5:45 this morning. That gave me ample time to start and finish delivering them before my daycare family arrived at 7:30. Even getting the job two thirds of the way done is a big win for me. Today? I was pretty chilled at the two thirds mark. I could have stopped then and completed the final half hour at the end of my daycare day.

But did I really want to know that I had to go out and face that cold again at the end of a long, kid-filled day? No matter how they describe the weather (in reality, it was 'only' -33 degrees this morning, but it felt like -42 with the wind chill) ... I feel that wind more as the day wears on. A cold day is warmer in the morning, if that can make any sense at all.

All I could think about was counting down the day, knowing that my reward at the end of it all would be going back outside to finish off my flyers. Unless I kept at it.

So I did. The last fifteen minutes were a little excessive, but at least by that point I had my body turned around and there was only one direction to go. Home!

I have been home for one hour. I have thawed out and have savored two cups of coffee. The rest of my day will be spent indoors.

If ever there was a day when I was grateful to be working from home ... today is it. And all of the other -30 to -40 degree days that have preceded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment