**Jimmy - "Went fishing with Dad. It was the best day of my life ..."
My heart ached and I got a lump in my throat when I heard those words ("To a Child, Love is Spelled T-I-M-E"), in a way I know that I have been guilty of being 'that dad' (aka: mom).
How many times have I bided my time, doing something that was of little interest to me ... for the sake of one of my children?
- Listening to them go on and on about the levels of a video game they are attempting to challenge
- Reading the same book every night (for what feels like the bazillionth time)
- Endless hours at the playground
- Kid's movies and programs that I felt like I have sat through (almost as many times as I have read the above mentioned books)
- Sitting through a Christmas concert featuring the entire school ... just to see my child on stage for two minutes
- Hours in a car spent driving to a special vacation destination
- Putting up with our many 'life lessons' as we go on and on about some issue that they would really rather forget
- Endless hours waiting for a special occasion that they have been looking forward to
- Parent/Teacher/Student conferences and the sermons that follow
Somewhere in between are those moments of absolutely mutual enjoyment. Those moments in time within the frustrations.
- The elation you see in your child's eyes when they break through new boundaries
- The comfort and ease each of you share in those familiar routines that wind down our days
- The mutual admiration and joy you both feel when you see your child shine in that school performance
- Those family Kodak moments within those once-in-a-lifetime vacations
- The pride we feel as a parent when we see that a lifetime of life-lessons has made a difference within our child
- Children at play, when they have no idea that an adult is watching
- Children echoing your words ... and you are pleased with what they sound like on someone else's tongue
- Watching your children grow into the adults that they were destined to be
That is what parental love is. Parental love is spelt U-N-C-O-N-D-I-T-I-O-N-A-L. I think that our children know this. Is that why they test us so??
**"To a Child, Love is Spelled T-I-M-E" video by www. simpletruths.com