Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's Been a Long Winter

March came in like a lamb ... so you know what they say. We are all expecting the arrival of the lion. But honestly? Did that lion have to start growling already?

It has simply been a very long winter. Apparently "...this is nothing compared to the winters 60 years ago...", but to the best of my recollections over the course of my adult years, this is the most snow that I can recall.

To top it all off there was a water main break in Our Fair City yesterday. When I woke up at 5:30, our water pressure was very, very low. So I went and filled up all of our water jugs, water bottles and kettle. Just in case.

We were fortunate. Our water was not affected by the water main break. There was simply an advisory to boil drinking/cooking water before consumption.

On top of this (which is truly rather minor in the whole scheme of things), our temperatures are dipping back into the -20 degree range. And it snowed (for what felt like all day, but it wasn't).

Two Saturdays ago, I was dodging puddles as I delivered papers. Not even a week later, my feet got caught up in an ice rut and I went down like a rock. Last night, I was quite literally 'dashing through the snow' ...

You can tell people are sick and tired of shovelling snow. Possibly half of the houses I delivered flyers to didn't bother shovelling their walks the last few snowfalls (these last few days). I have been out every day since Wednesday 'monitoring' the situation, since I had an extra day's worth of deliveries to make this week. The snow is piling up. And we are all getting sick of it!

I know, I know how fortunate that we truly are. Our city just missed a massive snowfall a few weeks ago.  A storm was headed our way but just missed us. The same was not true for those south of us. Highways were closed and traffic was at a standstill.

Despite a major water main break, we were fortunate enough to have water. All day. Our power has not been affected. The furnace is keeping us warm, our homes are sheltering us and we have all of the luxuries available to us at the flick of a switch or turn of a faucet.

But it has simply gone on long enough. The sky has been gray most of the winter. We are craving blue skies and green grass.

The bright side of my little gripe session is that I 'lost' two days! I went through all of yesterday thinking that it was March 13th. I didn't realize how wrong I was until I hovered the computer mouse over the time this morning and saw "March 16th". I didn't believe it. I had to go to a calendar to confirm the date. Who knew!?!??

We are half-way through the longest month of the year. The month before spring (right?? ... spring is going to peak its nose out in April, isn't it??). The lion is growling ... I do not want to hear its roar as it blasts the last of what it has to offer before it goes out like a lamb. For good.

Snow, snow ... go away. We want spring to come and stay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment