Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Change

Sometimes we see it coming. Other times we don't. There are times we think we know what to expect but life throws us a curve we weren't expecting. Usually? It is 'all of the above'.

Change.

Personally, I love my ruts. I have learned from experience that ruts aren't good for me in the long run. Even though I pretty much despise the concept of change, I've learned that change is good.

There for a while I got a little addicted to shaking up my world. When things began to feel to stagnant, I seemed to find some aspect of my life to change up a bit. It worked very well me for a while. Until it didn't. Then I went running for safety and I have been hanging out there ever since.

I love my little life. My life where my work comes to me each and every week day morning and leaves around supper time each and every week day evening. It is a relatively predictable life. Considering I run a daycare from my home, it has become unbelievably predictable. There have been few shake-ups in my daycare world since its re-inception last fall.

But times, they are a-changin'.

Everything has been running on schedule. People come (for the most part) when they tell me they are going to come. People leave (mostly) when I expect them to go. I am given notice (almost always) when schedules change. And (drum roll please) ... I get paid. The same amount each month. No matter what. It is a little bit awesome. Stability like this in the daycare world is rare. I cannot believe my good fortune.

I knew things were going to change. No surprise. I have a new one-year-old starting in November. One of my two-year-olds will be on maternity leave in December. Another new one-year-old to begin in January. I was going to transition from three children ... to four. Slow and easy.

Then the phone rang.

A dad was desperately seeking daycare. The family came to meet me Monday night. They started Tuesday morning. I am not located in a convenient location for them. But at the end of yesterday he said, "As long as she's happy, it doesn't matter".

This new little four-year-old girl is going to teach me many things. I can feel it.

Last night, at 9:59 p.m., I thought I knew what to expect of my day today. At 10:00 p.m., I received a text. My three-year-old who was not due to be back until Monday or Tuesday? He would be here bright and early this morning. When they arrived this morning, I received more news. They will be moving to Winnipeg December 1st. He will be done here at the end of November ...

How did our little four-year-old girl find us before I knew how much we needed her? She came into our home and it was like have been waiting for her all along. The toy room that was filled with a play kitchen and doll-tending area drew her into our world like I created this play space just for her.

I wasn't sure what I was doing when I said 'Yes' to this new family. I was afraid I had taken on too much. I cringed (just a little bit) wondering how I'd manage with all of the change in the air.

I didn't know how this would all work out in the end. But somehow I knew that it would. There wasn't a doubt in my mind.

Change. It isn't easy. But it is necessary. Go with the flow of changes within your world. Sit and wait. And you will see how well things manage to work out in the end.

"It all works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out ... it is not yet the end." ~ my favorite quote of the year from "The Exotic Marigold Hotel"

No comments:

Post a Comment