Thursday, December 12, 2013

I'm in Love ... (a little about the Favorite Men in my life)

I turned on my most favorite music first thing yesterday morning and it set the tone for the day. I highly recommend clicking on this link and pressing 'play' - Jeffery Straker is my second newest Favorite Man (after my New Hairstylist, of course).

My Daycare Family was not quite as enamored with my choice of music (we are a little bit hooked on Patty Shukla at the moment) but it made me happy and I don't think that they had a problem with a Happy Me.

'Birchbark Canoe' is a dreamy waltz and the song seeped deep into my soul and my heart started beating to the beat of the music. I picked up my little one-year-old (who am I kidding? I was probably holding him anyway) and we danced...

We danced around the toys in the living room. We danced up and down the hallway. We pivoted and swirled. I taught him 'dance position' and we rose and fell to the heartbeat of the music that enveloped my soul. It was heavenly ...

The other kids noticed what was going on and my girls started moving and swaying to the music along with us. I noticed my little two-year-old mimicking the 'rise and fall' (that apparently I did without thinking) of the waltz.

Music changes the mood within a room. When it seeps into the soul of who you are, music has the ability to transform you. I was very much in need of a transformation. Thank you, Jeffery Straker!

I picked up the phone before I had a chance to talk myself out of it (or simply forget) and I booked myself a dance lesson. As luck would have it, there was an opening last night. Perfect! Hot on the tail of a new hair style and at the end of a Daycare Day that did not have me pulling said hair out of my head.

Immediately after making that call, I went to Jeffrey's website and bought/downloaded his newest CD and Christmas single. Ahhh!! If I wasn't in heaven before, I was reaching new heights. I burnt a CD and would bring a little piece of heaven with me as I drove to my lesson (and perhaps bring it into the studio with me so we could dance to the soundtrack that was the backdrop to my day).

Best laid plans sometimes go awry. Especially when tending to about nine other things at the same time. The burning process did not happen and I had nothing but a virgin CD to accompany me on my way to my lesson.

Have no fear, the dance studio's owner has also discovered this amazing talent so we could still dance to the beat of Jeffery Straker. But really ... with the amazing talent, personality and charisma of my Dance Instructor, we could probably dance to 'The Wheels on the Bus' (my exposure to music is highly affected by my one to four year old crowd) and have just as much fun. Yes. Another Favorite Man in my life ...

It has felt a small bit wonderful to pull my thoughts out of the challenges of my Daycare Day  and tend to that-which-fuels-my soul.

A Hair Stylist that made me laugh like I have not laughed in a very long time ... led to a haircut that (I believe) I can live with. A day with Jeffery Straker filled my heart and soul ... led to an evening of dance and movement with my Dance Instructor that filled up the remaining nooks and crannies.

"There is an Indian Belief that everyone is in a house of four rooms: A physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not complete."
~ Rumer Godden

I spent time in each of my four rooms within the past 24 hour period and I feel fulfilled, happy and content. I wish you a day of good housekeeping. Turn on some music that makes you 'feel'. Sing, dance and go where the music takes you. I think you will be glad that you did. 

Here is a suggestion from my little bag of tricks. It is a rerun of an earlier recommendation but it is a music video that brings me a little bit of happy into the Christmas season:


P.S. Side note to the other 'three favorite' men in my life (ahem ... My Three Sons). Nothing personal. But just for today, you have been upstaged. Perhaps each of you could change your career aspirations to include Hair Stylist; Singer/songwriter/piano player; and Dance Instructor, and this blog could be about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment