Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Courageous Heart

** An add-on to this morning's post**

I am upset with myself. No one else. I went through a brave stage in my life where I didn't toss out ideas and ask anyone what they thought. I simply announced my intentions and ran with them.

During that phase, I wrote a book, I danced in a dance competition, I went on an Alaskan Cruise vacation, I instigated a few family and friend gatherings, I joined Zumba, Belly Fit, I took classes and set goals. It was the most wonderful phase of my life-so-far. I made wonderful memories and have no regrets.

Since that point in time, I became fearful. I have started asking "What do you think of this idea?" before I jump into anything. I have not only been looking before I leap, I have been shoulder checking and looking in the rear view mirror until I am unable to move ahead with anything for fear of failing. I have stopped looking ahead and have felt immobilized by the paralysis of fear.

Not today! Today ... I picked up the phone and dialed it. And I am simply following where my heart is telling me to go. I may have found myself a wayward 'musician' to come and join me on a quick weekend adventure. Maybe not. But I feel braver for having taken a step in a forward direction and extended the invitation for others to join me.

I picked up the phone a few more times than I had originally intended today. Each conversation brought a gift along with it. I have gained more than the possibility of a wayward musician joining me on my journey. I have found a small piece of myself that I lost a few years ago.

I feel braver than I have felt in a very, very long time.

You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz. "All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.” ~ L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment