Saturday, April 26, 2014

One Hour at a Time

I cleared off the kitchen table last night before I went to bed.

I updated my bank book and wrote a little bit before I shut down for the night.

I filled up the liquid soap dispenser and tossed a used towel in the laundry before I turned out the lights.

The last thing that I did last night was to write a list with three items on it.

It is now 11:00 a.m.

I woke up to an empty slate this morning. No pesky little chores to derail and distract me. There was nothing to avoid and no reason to stay in bed any longer than necessary.

I sat down at the computer desk with my breakfast smoothie and a cup of coffee.

First? I read. I absorbed. I ate. I replenished my reserves.

And then? I sat still and started on one item on my to-do-list. By 8:22 a.m., my first mission was accomplished.

Then? I moved onto the second item on my list.

By 10:35 a.m., it too was 'signed, sealed and delivered' to its intended recipients.

That left the biggie. The one item that I have been successfully been putting off for the better part of the last five years. Only today is different. Today that item doesn't say 'Write a Book'. It says simply "One chapter".

I grabbed some more nourishment. I am ready to go. I am thinking "One chapter" sounds too big and too tall and too scary. So I have reworded that task into "One hour - book".

And that is exactly what I am going to do.

One hour at a time. That is all I can ask of myself right now. That is all I expect. One hour.

One hour without distraction will move me from the spot that I am sitting in right now. I can do this. I can do hard things.

One hour at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment