Sunday, July 20, 2014

Holidays - Day #2

If peaceful dreams and a calm night's sleep are indicative of anything, I would say that Day #1 of my holidays was exactly what I needed.

So far, my holidays have consisted of cleaning, eating home-cooked meals (not snacks), puttering with my Book Project and solitude.

I have not take a step out of the house that was further than the playhouse in the back yard. I have not talked to a soul (does a two minute conversation with my sister count, as I helped her with a clue which would help her answer one of her 'Security Questions' in case you forget your password??).

I have simply been quiet and nourished my body and soul with what is already all around me.

I didn't accomplish what I hoped to do yesterday. I didn't 'write' (or organize anyone else's words) a thing. Yesterday, I was immersed in photos. A few of my uncle's stories are very well supported and illustrated with pictures. So many pictures. If a picture is worth a thousand words, they have an encyclopedia within their chapter.

I was pleased with the final result of my organizing when I shut off my brain last night. My little netbook does not have the capability to do 'hard things' after 9:00. No wonder I like it so much. That little netbook and I have much in common.

I was disheartened by my lack of progress yesterday. I did work that doesn't show. I would have done this (or something like it) at some point. I wouldn't have wanted to rush it. I saw something within each of my uncles that I hadn't noticed before. Simply by immersing myself in the pictures that were at my disposal.

If my life was illustrated by the pictures that already exist, what would I see? It would depend upon the snapshot that was chosen. I am so very serious so much of the time. My 'default face' is somber and somewhat sullen. Yet, I have seen that very same face transformed when I see pictures taken of me at the dance studio, when I am with friends or family or any time I am following my passion.

If someone was to rifle through the pictures-of-your-life, what would they see? If we don't like what we see, we have the ability to transform ourselves from this point, on. If we like what we see, we can look for ways to ignite that spark in new ways.

Pictures tell a story. What do you see when you look at the photo album of your life?
When I went looking for a picture-of-me to illustrate my point, this is the very first one I came upon. I was on a balloon ride, looking down upon the world and very deep in thought. Yup. It's me. You can add this one to my file.

No comments:

Post a Comment