Monday, August 11, 2014

My Day, as I Remember It

A day like today doesn't lend itself to a lot of story telling. Yesterday was a day of 'cleansing' and today was a day of rest.

As luck would have it, none of my daycare family needed my services today when I told them I would not be available for the first few hours of the day. It simply could not have worked out any better.

I had an early morning colonoscopy today. I had no worries going in and my instincts served me well. I got the 'all clear' for another five years and they sent me on my way. I think...

I had quite a nice little cocktail of drugs which created a period of amnesia for me. I remember the coldness of the mixture of whatever mixture of drugs they used which created a state of semiconscious unconciousness. I looked at the clock and it was sometime between 8:10 and 8:15. I wanted to remember this time because I wanted to know how long it was until it was all over.

Well? I remember looking at the clock when I woke up again. I don't remember what time it said. I remember that they gave me something to eat. I know it wasn't toast. Why do I think it was digestive cookies? That is just plain weird. I remember dropping the foil lid of my orange juice on the floor and picking it up when I was given the go ahead to go home. I remember the doctor talking to me. I am 99.999% certain that he said all was fine and he'd see me again in five years. But why does it all feel like a dream now?

I got home and texted the one daycare family that I thought may be coming today. I just looked at the time of said text. It was 10:02 a.m. (thankfully they contacted me minutes later, telling me that 'grandma' was taking care of the child minding today).

My awareness of time is pretty fuzzy. A friend called at 10:20 a.m.; I remember talking with her. I vaguely remember what we talked about. I was pretty woozy when I said good bye. I remember waking up and seeing that it was somewhere in and around 11:30.

It is a very, very (very) good thing that none of my daycare family needed me today. I was fully prepared to take care of them. In fact, when I was making today's appointment I specifically mentioned that I would be coming home to take care of my daycare family, thus I asked for an appointment first thing in the morning. Then when I went to sign the consent documents before my 'procedure', it specifically mentioned no driving, no handling heavy machinery, no signing of legal documents or providing childcare for 24 hours.

Thankfully I did have my sixteen year old son to call on, had my daycare families descended upon me today. Chances are that I would not have called on him because one can do whatever has to be done. But looking back on the fuzziness of everything after my appointment, I am very grateful for the way the day turned out.

Sometimes I feel like I have an angel on my shoulder who helps make these little things happen. I'm grateful for many things today. One of which, was not having to watch over little people. Secondly, our healthcare system that took care of me and deemed me healthy and fit for another five years. At least that is what I think I remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment