Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Time

The days are getting shorter but I just gained a month!

I wrote a letter to my mom yesterday (instead of a blog post) and was belaboring the fact that 'three months from now' it would be Christmas. But it won't!! It will just be November. It may not even be snowing. Mom is going to be confused. I will have to prewarn her that I have forgotten how to count. Then again, she may not get the letter...

I addressed Mom's envelope on autopilot. I may have written her address on it. I may have written my own. The addresses are so intertwined in my subconscious mind, I have mailed her letter to myself more often that I can remember. Normally, I have a good look at the letter before I drop it into the mailbox and it becomes the property of the post office until it reaches its destination. Yesterday, it slipped out of my hands before I had a good look at it. I wonder where it will go ...

Her letter did have a stamp on it. Two, in fact (I must have thought I wrote some interesting blogs last week because her envelope was plump). I went through a phase at the beginning of this year when I forgot to put stamps on my outgoing mail. I have no idea what was going through my mind when this happened not once, not twice but at least three times. I would get all excited to see a personally addressed letter in my mailbox, only to discover it was my own handwriting. You can't mail a letter for free, folks. Believe me, I have (unintentionally) tried. The post office sends it back to you.

I do believe her letter was more interesting than this post-thus-far.

I was going to write about our shorter days. And the need to wear socks and a sweater in the mornings. I want to turn on the furnace to warm things up around here. But it is only August! Last week, I was sweltering in the heat. I am not going to bring out my winter wardrobe and turn on artificial heat this soon in the season!

One week from today, our children (in this neck of the woods) will be officially starting their first full day of school. The summer has felt endless on one hand (the heat, oh! the heat made me wish for some of those days to pass) and like it has gone by in a flash on the other. Time speeds up once the school year starts. The school years go faster each year. We are now officially on warp speed.

One year from now, I will be writing about my Youngest Son starting Grade 12. Talk about time flying by. My heart aches at the swiftness in which these past sixteen years have passed ....

As the longest day winds its way down to the shortest and then back again, another year is going to slip through my fingers.

Time creeps by yet it speeds up at the same time.

What am I accomplishing? What do I have to show my days - long or short? No matter how long the sun shines we are given the same twenty four hours, each and every morning.

Why do I have the feeling I am frittering away the best days of my life...

"Time is free, but it's priceless. 
You can't own it, but you can use it. 
You can't keep it, but you can spend it. 
Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” 
~ Harvey MacKay

No comments:

Post a Comment