Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Becoming the Person Others Believe We Already Are

"We normally become what the person closest to us thinks we will become."
~ Mountain Wings.com
Such a simple statement reflects such a profound truth.

I can see time and time again where that statement has rung true within my life.

I have (done my best to) live up to high expectations and became more than I ever thought I could be, because someone believed in me.

I have also come close to hitting rock bottom when someone expected me to fail.

I can still feel my heart turn to lead when I tried to overcome someone's belief that I was not good enough, not smart enough, nor fast enough to do the job set before me.

I can still look at a picture taken one evening when my heart was shattering and I can feel the pain I felt when I saw 'that look' inflicted upon me.

I didn't run from either circumstance. I tried to win over my naysayers. I accomplished nothing but bringing myself down to the level they already thought I was at.

The devastation I felt when both of those 'relationships' ended brought me to my knees. I didn't choose to walk away. My hand was forced and I had to leave.

Thank goodness...

Life has been very kind to me. In the whole scheme of things, I have been surrounded by those who think I am better than I am. Trying to live up to those expectations has brought out the best there is within me.

Surround yourself with those who think highly of you. Even if you have a hard time believing them, you are subconsciously aspiring to be the person they already know you are.

"If I could give you one thing in life, I would give you the ability to see yourself through my eyes. Only then would you realize how special you are ..." ~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment