Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Super Powers (X 2)

My new Super Power of 'Wakefulness' has given me a whole new lease on life. The ability to stay awake until 10:00 p.m. on a regular basis is new and foreign ground to me. And with it, must come some new adaptations to life-as-I-know-it.

Last night, I had big plans. I had a hair appointment booked, letters to mail, groceries to buy and several Tim Hortons gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Wouldn't you know it? I had to drive by a Tim Hortons on my way home from my hair appointment. So, a late-night (7:30) supper it was!

Who can go to Tim Hortons without buying a coffee? Not me.

In the past (in my life-of-exhaustion, which preceded my new Wakefulness Super Power), I could easily have an after-supper-cup-of-caffeine and it may (or may not) have given me enough of a boost to stay wakeful until after 8:30. Add one 8:00 cup of coffee to a person who has been habitually falling asleep well after 10:00 p.m., with an added dose of realization that my Vegas Weekend Getaway was exactly one month away ... and that equaled ME.

I was pumped.

I started texting and didn't quite stop. I was suddenly aware that my horizons after February 8th look bleak and I started to wonder what I can add to my agenda to help me look towards the future with anticipation.

Don't worry. I didn't book a trip to Disneyland. Or Ontario. Or even Moose Jaw. All I did do, was text a friend and invite her out for a birthday supper. That's it.

But my Wakefulness Super Power was kicked up a notch.

I didn't even try to go to bed until almost 11:30. I turned on the TV and made it into not only one, but two and I believe at least the third commercial break! This never EVER happens to me! I was going to see the end of this hour long program. YAY!!

Then I woke up, face-to-face with Senior Cat (who has adopted a brand-new-to-him habit, of jumping up onto my bed, sitting beside my head and turning on his Monster Purr). I stirred, petted him and invited him to come and snuggle. Which he did. Under my covers (at his prodding).

He purred and kneaded and purred and kneaded and purred some more. Then he nuzzled his way out from under the covers and proceeded to actually snuggle up with me. It has been years since he snuggled up and slept on my bed. Years!

I was grateful for my new Super Power which gave me the gift of enjoying this brand new side of my old kitty.

It turns out I am not the only one in the house with a brand new Super Power. Our Senior Cat has been honing in on his own brand of Super Power Kitty Love. In the middle of the night.

What a perfect combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment