Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Distracted Day

Well, that was a day I hope never to repeat. It was a day of "distracted babysitting".

Our weather has gone weird. It was a hot, "summer" day (+20°C), yet there is still snow on the ground. 

I had no idea what to do with my little people as the weather tried to decide on what season it would be. I (foolishly) thought "They have been outside in the morning and afternoon for weeks now, surely to goodness we can spend the morning inside..."

That was perhaps the last (in)sane thought I had.

I rotated toys. I brought up a HUGE box of boxes and containers with lids for them to do with, as they pleased. I rotated more toys. I brought out the LeapPad, the iPad and the McDonald Happy Meal boxes I had folded up and saved for another day...

Them: "What do we do with these [the boxes], Colleen?" 
Me: "Whatever your imagination tells you to do..."

There was bickering and nattering and non-stop talking, doing and needing.

I sat at the computer desk puttering away at a menial, no-brainer type of task. I thought I could do that and watch over my little people at the same time.

I was wrong. I was soooo wrong!

We made it to lunch time. It felt like everyone was soooo needy yesterday (perhaps I was the needy one, as I desperately tried to finish the task I had started). 

We made it to and through quiet time and I thought that would reset and reboot the day. It always does.

Not yesterday.

My "new guy" arrived and stirred a pot which was already stirred, shaken and pureed to oblivion. I was depleted. And this guy cried. And cried. And cried. He cried if I held him. He cried if I didn't. He just cried...

I wanted to cry too. I really did.

But I didn't. I held on and got through the day.

We went outside and the season of discontentment continued. The kids wandered around acting like they had already done, been and conquered all there was to do outside. And it is not even the end of April!!!

Oh. My. Gosh.

We endured. That is about all I can say.

I must go to my bookkeeping job tonight. I must work again this weekend. I have filled the last few weekends with puttering around the house and I tried to putter a little bit throughout the day yesterday and disaster ensued. 

"This" is why I have been getting nothing done around here. 

Maybe it isn't an excuse after all. "This" is my reality. 

Here is to hoping my coping skills return today. Time to shut off my distractions and tune into my day. 

Things are always better when you focus on the moment you are in. And that is exactly what I intend to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment