Friday, July 17, 2015

Middle of the Night Thoughts

I woke up at 1:00 a.m. last night and felt rested for the first time in a while.

I decided to wander out of my room to get a drink and one foot had barely hit the carpet when not one, but two black furry felines came to greet me as I did my middle-of-the-night walk about.

It was such a simple thing but I was simply grateful.

Waking up for no reason other than I felt rested. Wandering about the house for no other reason than to appreciate the middle of the night quietness.

I wandered to the computer to check my emails. Nothing of importance there. As much as I love, love, love being on the receiving end of a personal email any time of the day or night, there was something restful about knowing there was no one awaiting a reply.

I've gone to bed between 7 and 8:00 p.m. all week. And slept. And slept some more.

My body wasn't tired but I think my brain was.

I am so grateful I won't have to "waste" my week of holidays catching up on rest, relaxation and sleeping. I have no desire to deplete my resources during my vacation but I most certainly don't want to waste my time catching up.

During this quiet work week of resting and catching up, I keep finding my mind trying to plan something for my holiday.

Maybe a little getaway. Or maybe we should stay close to home.

I should pick a room, any room and paint it, fix it, dejunk it and start anew. Or maybe I should read a book.

I could do something purely frivolous and impulsive, but my need for impulsiveness feels satisfied and full.

I have one week to catch up on all that needs tending before my holiday begins. There is still work to be done. It is hard work trying to make it feel like there is no work to be done. Perhaps that is why I have felt so worn out after the visiting and reunioning of weekends past.

I don't think I have the energy it takes to prepare for a vacation away from home.

But last night, as I wandered through the house feeling rested, relaxed, full and satisfied I thought "It just doesn't get any better than this".

Waking up because you feel rested is a gift. Living in a home where I am never totally alone is comforting. Breathing easy because my life is full and fulfilling fills my heart with gratitude. Even when the house is quiet and empty I never feel alone.

I thought all those comforting thoughts and revelled in how it felt to be "me", then climbed back into bed and drifted off into a state of slumber which carried me through the night and into this morning.

I have a good life. I am so glad I woke up so I could fully appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment