Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Law of Provision Strikes Again

Every time I stick my neck out and tell the "world" (okay, my world is small and I may only tell a few people) just how fortunate I am and how the money end of things has miraculously worked out once again, I think "Uh oh, now the other shoe is going to drop ..."

Each and every one of my little vacations have been subsidized by little miracles, gifts and windfalls. Do I make plans "knowing" this ahead of time or do these little financial boons happen after the fact?

I had so many little financial issues going on when I attended our family reunion a few weekends ago. I felt like I was back in my old daycare days, when every time the phone rang the cash register in my head tallied up the losses verses the gains and subtracted that from the bills.

I really didn't have a shortfall, but I was just low on cash. I was under the mistaken impression that I could subsidize the lack of cash with an ATM cash withdrawal. But there was no ATM on site.

Add to that, the fact that my mom gave me a cheque so I could pay her portion in cash and I was in a bit of a pickle.

Then came the part where I approached my son for a small interim loan to tide me over and he confessed that he was actually just going to ask me the same question.

I sort of knew it would all work out in the end. It was nothing short of a miracle.

I left the house with $90.00 cash in my pocket. I came home with about $88.75. I walked into the weekend owing a rather startling amount on my credit card. I tallied up my chequing account balance at the end of the day and I came out $294 (and change) ahead of the game.

One would think the miracles would have to end, wouldn't they?

Well yesterday, I approached my Middle Son to ask if he was still up to the "road trip" we had mentioned in passing a while ago. I had a "Plan B" for him, just in case a road trip wasn't feasible...

I really, really need to invest some time and money on our house. I have ideas but I don't have the tools, skill, muscle power or stamina to do the job myself. So I made my son an offer. I told him my budget. I explained half that budget would go to the house and the other half would go to him for his labor.

Of course, him being the person he is, he told me he did not want to take my money. I replied that I was going to hire someone to do it and I'd rather pay someone I know.

THEN ... I opened the mailbox. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a completely unexpected cheque that would almost cover the "labor" portion of the pending house expenses.

[insert happy dance here]

I have also been a tad concerned about the upcoming vacancies within my daycare. At the moment, it is a full house. But my parents must have decided they like this "parenthood gig" because maternity leaves are happening as I type.

One opening had been filled but a last minute transfer at work, has meant this family will be leaving the city. I told myself not to panic. "Things always work out in the end." "Don't worry." "Worrying is a waste of time and energy." "When you are ready, it will come ..."

It hasn't come yet. But yesterday afternoon, the phone rang and who was on the other end of the line but a parent who sounded just as desperate as I was feeling, who needed daycare for her one and three year old children in September. My location is all wrong. There are many variables which didn't make "me" her perfect answer.

But the phone call gave me hope. Talking to her gave me back my voice.

Last week, I was so exhausted and low and depleted that I felt like the worst daycare provider on earth. I wasn't. We just didn't DO things or GO places or do anything out of the ordinary. I could not have "sold" myself to anyone last week.

This week, is a whole different story.

I have rested, revived myself and I am noticing the little miracles which surround me each and every day again.

I have a tentative plan for the first leg of my holidays. The financial end of it seems to be working out.

The "Law of Provision" is ever present in my life. Even when I am depleted, the world does not demand more than I have on tap.

I am grateful. I am amazed.

It will all work out in the end. If it doesn't work out, it is not yet the end ...

No comments:

Post a Comment