Tuesday, August 4, 2015

My Whole Life Could Be a Vacation

You know you have it good when you wake up "the morning after" your vacation and you welcome the return of life-as-you-know-it.

That is "me" this morning.

My holiday was a good one. I couldn't keep that pace up all of the time so I am welcoming the idea of my return-to-work mode.

It is the mode where I stop working at the end of my day. It is the mode where I stop and smell the roses dandelions during my day. It is the mode where I actually even stop to eat (and by extension, that usually involves some kind of cooking). It is also the mode where I stop for an hour or so in the middle of the day and savor some quiet time.

My day job guides me into a better way of living. Being responsible for four to five little people helps me be more responsible to myself and my youngest son.

In ten days of vacationing at home, I turned on the dishwasher once. In ten days, I cooked two meals and I may have defrosted a few more.

It was nothing at all for me to be knee deep in a project of some sort at 8:00 at night and the thought of stopping to eat (never mind cook) a meal was the furthest thing from my mind. One night, it was 10:00 and I was winding down to get ready for bed when I remembered we hadn't had supper. I decided not to remind my son of that fact. He remembered about a half hour after I did.

Mom often mentions that "eating is highly overrated" and I tend to agree with her. I wouldn't mind if someone supplied three meals a day and a few healthy snacks but when I am left to my own devices, those very same meals are nothing but work.

Yes, my vacation was a holiday from cooking.

Perhaps that is why I don't mind being back in "work mode". It means sustenance will be provided in some capacity in and around three times per day.

If only I could find someone to cook for me, my whole life would be a vacation ...

No comments:

Post a Comment