Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Job That Never Ends (it goes on and on, my friend)

All right, whose bright idea was it to spruce up the bathroom around here?! Come on, now. This could have and should have been a two to three day job, four at the most.

Here we are, just about three weeks later and I'm still taking one step forward and two back.

Granted, much of this has to do with the fact that I had to go back to work and I could not be dabbling in paint ten hours out of every day. But really?

Yesterday morning, at the crack of dawn I was up and painting the inside of the cupboard underneath the bathroom sink.

As the paint dried, I found a spot I missed. Then last night, I noticed one more. Then I noticed the spot where I must have brushed grey paint across my newly painted brown/black bathroom drawer.

Really now?

Add to those minor paint mishaps, the fact that our new drain attached to our new faucet decided not to drain any more.

Since we have lived here twenty years and our bathroom sink has never even drained slowly before this, I decided the slow drainage system must be due to the new stopper installed with our new taps. So I called our plumber back.

Due to the fact that he got married on Saturday and was technically not even working yesterday, he didn't show up on our doorstep until 7:00 last night. I had tended to all that needed to be done and I was in my pajamas when the doorbell rang.

Turns out all I would have needed to do, was "plunge" the sink out and all would have been fine (something tells me this will now become a common occurrence).

But the fact that our sink now drains spurred me into action this morning. I would tend to the paint touch ups and by this time tomorrow, the contents from under the bathroom sink should be restocked and our bathroom should be fully functional again.

Except for the fact that I think I could scrape the paint on the floor and counter off with my fingernail. I think I bought the wrong kind of paint. So I am waiting for this existing paint to "cure" for thirty days before I try something new. Which is probably good because there is already one nick in the paint and it could have used third coat anyway.

I don't know which is worse. Having a bathroom that is rather dilapidated and outdated or having a new and "improved" bathroom which I'm afraid to use.

Then there are all those walls and rooms outside of the smallest room of our home which still need some TLC.

I am beginning to remember why I put this off for so long. Not only is it expensive and time consuming, it is a job that never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment