Monday, September 21, 2015

Cat Days

I woke up exhausted yesterday morning so I gave myself permission to ignore the short little to-do list on the desk. For an hour and a half. Just enough time to watch two episodes of Grey's Anatomy. Then I would get up and set the timer for fifteen minutes and trick myself into accomplishing something. 

Long story, short? It didn't work.

Instead, I nestled in and became "one" with the love seat. I grabbed a pillow, a blanket and had a little pillow to support the crook of my neck. I pulled the Little Tikes table out of the toy room and set myself up for the long haul.

I moved the computer onto my little makeshift desk, made myself a few cups of coffee and when I was sufficiently caffeinated, I sat back and enjoyed the view.

I barely moved off that spot for the duration of the day. I dozed off intermittently throughout the day. My crowning accomplishment of my cat day was the one load of laundry I threw in the washer before I started bonding with the love seat.

That spot on the couch looked so inviting that each time I got up, I found one of our cats lying in my little nest upon my return. There were sleeping cats everywhere. 

It was at that point that I officially declared Sunday, September 20th a Cat Day. 

Cats make napping look like a sport and I was ready to compete. 

In the old days, Andre (formerly known as Senior Cat, and still dearly missed) would jump up and "become one" with me whenever I had such a day. You just can't move when you have a cat snuggled up on or beside you. It goes against cat and human nature to disturb a sleeping cat. Andre and I savored many Cat Days together. 

These cats don't know the rules. They don't nestle into the contours of my resting body and make me lose myself in their purrs. They sleep separate and apart from me and each other. 

But this one moment made me believe they were starting to get into the Cat Day zone.

To our knowledge, this is the first time they have "snuggled" together and napped fur-to-fur.


They slept like this for a good, long while.

It was a very good day to be a cat. After cat napping all day and sleeping like a log until minutes before my alarm went off this morning, I feel ready to face the week ahead.

I'm counting down the days until my next official "Cat Day". There is really nothing quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment