Monday, November 2, 2015

Daylight Savings Time Blues

Yesterday morning, as I slept in past my usual 6:00 a.m. wake up time, I quietly celebrated Daylight Savings Time. That extra hour bought me some time with Paul LaFrance and his crew (from "Decked Out") instead of listening to Tom Bergeron sell me on the "21 Day Fix" for the bazillionth time.

Yes, I wake up to the TV each and every morning. I hate crawling out of bed these days, so I tune the television to the HGTV channel and snooze through most everything they run. Except for the infomercials. I cannot sleep through anything that bores or annoys me. Crazy, I know.

As I dozed through that extra hour yesterday morning, I celebrated the shift in television programming. The rest of the world turns their clocks back, resulting in an hour delay for most of my television viewing, in the land where we never "Turn Back Time" (sing it, Cher!).

I was okay with that change. Until this morning.

I have developed a little crush on Bryan Baeumler and I quite enjoy listening to his banter as everyone "Leaves it to Bryan". He is delightful, has a fun sense of humor, brings the shortcomings of people's houses and skills to light without bashing someone's ego. He is my kind of guy.

Before Daylight Savings Time, I spent an hour sleeping through Bryan's banter each and every morning. Mike Holmes follows with his "Holmes Inspections" at 6:00 a.m. and there is nothing like a little Mike to make me jump out of bed and start my day. He is such a Negative Nellie. There is something about his voice that grates on my last sleeping nerve. I have to turn that guy off and tune into my own life which is a hundred times cheerier than the troubles he finds within each and every holme home he inspects.

This system has worked very well for me since I have decided that getting up at 5:00 a.m. is quite literally for the birds. So I set my TV on the Bryan Channel and enjoy that last hour of semi consciousness.

Then this morning happened.

I woke up to "Marriage Under Construction" instead of Bryan Baeumler. Talk about disappointment. I was still fast asleep but the voice in my head was not Bryan. It was someone I didn't know or care about. Blech! Give a girl a break!! Where was Bryan?? Then I remembered. He was going to be delayed by an hour.

I felt like such a rebel. By this time, both cats were snoozing on the bottom half of my bed (I get the top half, they get the bottom half - it is a good system) and I didn't want to disturb their slumber. So I endured this annoying couple I didn't know or care about and stayed in bed an extra half hour so I could hear Bryan speaking to me in my dreams from 6:00 to 6:30.

So my morning got off to a late start but I made up for it by taking a few short cuts. I don't know if I can get away with this on a regular basis.

It is going to be a long, long winter. I barely got used to our shrinking daylight hours. Now this!?! How much more can a person endure?!

No comments:

Post a Comment