Friday, August 5, 2016

Smile and the World Smiles With You

I am seven hours into my ten hour daycare day and all is well. "They" say you only get what you can handle and I guess "they" were right. I am working my way through the best day I've had in a while and boy, I was ready for this.

It's not that I woke up with a fresh, new outlook on the day. I woke up with the same sense of dread I've come to know and expect. I knew I was going to be missing one of my more challenging personalities and in her place, I was expecting another (the same age) who tends to bring out the best in her friends. So I was hopeful the day would not be "more of the same".

Then our bored little "Jet" cat nuzzled his way into our morning and he kept demanding attention from me. He came to where I was sitting, gave me that sidelong look that felines do, when they want you to scratch their ears, he did his "somersault" at my feet and brought a smile to my face. The moment I smiled, I could feel the energy in the room change.

The kids were drawn to this lighter side of me and Jet would not leave me alone. He kept doing his little somersaults at my feet, as I scratched his ears and head. Then there was a moment when the kid's behaviour was starting to frustrate me and our little black kitty jumped up on my leg (I was standing and he jumped on me like a dog would) and nuzzled my hand again. "Look at me!" "Love me!" "Smile!" "Take it easy" "Relax!" He was saying all this as he nuzzled into my hand again.

Then after he calmed me down, he perched right along beside me on the couch. The kids were drawn to him and to me by default. His presence in our morning made all the difference in the world.

After he felt I could be trusted on my own again, he plopped into an empty toy container and let his presence be his gift. The kids piled toys on top of him and he didn't move a muscle.


Yes, I can do this. Thanks to the assistance of my son the past three weeks and this morning, my thanks goes out to my little black cat who simply forced me to smile when I didn't think I had a smile in me. 

"Smile and the world smiles with you", said Jet with every move his body language told me. Thanks, Jet. I needed that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment