Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Where Have All My Writers Gone?

I follow about eight blog writers religiously. I wake up in the morning, make my morning smoothie, grab my cup of coffee and sit down at the computer in anticipation of reading their words. Half of those writers used to update their blog an a (nearly) daily basis. The other few had semi-regular posts so it was always good to check in, just in case there was a surprise post. And there often were. Out of my regular bloggers, only one of them still updates on a semi-regular daily basis. The periodic updaters seem to have all but stopped blogging. Most of them have moved onto updating their Facebook statuses instead.

I'm not a great fan of Facebook. Yes, it has its place and I have found inspiration, a few lost friends, corresponded via private messages and connected in an up close and personal way. Yes, it is a nice way to keep tabs on what is important within your friend's lives. Yes, it is a nice way to share news or frivolous little observations about life that is important to you or strikes your funny bone. But I don't want to "live" there. I don't want to have to go their to find my morning sustenance. When I sit down in the morning, I look forward to the "stories" my bloggers have to tell. They don't have to be deep and thought provoking every time. They don't have to be "anything" all of the time. I just love sitting down with my morning smoothie and reading a little bit of something that someone I enjoy listening to has to share with the world. I look forward to it.

I am trying (and not succeeding too terribly well) rid myself of the Facebook habit. I have "unfollowed" everyone I know, every group I've joined or liked and my Facebook feed is down to the "Gilmore Girls". I don't want to miss out on the excitement of the countdown to the Gilmore Girls reunion at the end of November. So they get to stay.

I can still sit down and check in on my friend's new posts (and I do), but I enjoy waking up to an empty Facebook page. I sit and fritter away far too much time scrolling. I don't want to dig to find morsels of writing by my favorite writers on Facebook. I much prefer finding them in their own little corner of the blogging world. It is much more of a "sit down and get to know you" place.

In fact, I would like to get the courage to close down my Facebook page altogether but my on-line auction sites are through Facebook so that is my excuse for staying. At least for now.

Inspiration can still be found whichever way you look on the Internet. TED Talks, YouTube interviews with those who inspire me and tracking down articles written by my favorite authors are all still viable sources of "sustenance" for me. But honestly? Sometimes (like always) I don't want to have to work so hard to find what I want I'm looking for. In the morning, I don't want to be assaulted by audio/video. I want to read. I love the quietness and thoughtfulness that goes into the reading process.

I miss the daily updates from my favorite bloggers. I have been tracking them down via their Facebook feed but it just isn't the same. Facebook (in my mind) is more about the social contact and instant feedback. I can get lost reading the comments and I forget to think for myself as I listen to the way everyone else interpreted a quick update from an excellent writer and spokesperson.

Facebook is like fast food. It is quick, easy, fills a void and keeps you coming back for more. Blogging is more of a "let's sit down and eat a five course meal together". You sit, you converse, you laugh and you walk away from the table with more than the food sustaining you. You aren't searching the cupboards for "more" after a real meal. Facebook keeps drawing you back, just like I'm always searching for snacks immediately after a fast food meal. It's addictive, it's not good for you on a daily basis and there is a hollowness that never quite fills the void.

Facebook, I am so almost over you. We would be done if it weren't for the fact that my favorite authors are hooked on you and I can't find their daily input anywhere else. Bloggers rejoice. Please keep coming back for the "meat and potatoes" and the real meal deals. I miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment